On 04.06.2010 01:51, Graham Leggett wrote:
> On 03 Jun 2010, at 10:17 PM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
>
>> It would be, but it's necessary.  The ASF is a collaborative environment;
>> unreviewed code should not released, even when the authors are
>> committers.
>> A major patch like this hitting svn, without previous review, makes our
>> fellow committers' eyes glaze over.
>>
>> If there is not positive feedback from two reviewers, this code does not
>> belong in trunk/.  As a committer, you are *free* to create your own
>> sandboxes in svn to demonstrate code changes, if that helps attract the
>> necessary review.
>
> What you're describing here is review-then-commit (RTC).

No. It was always the case that larger and more intrusive changes should be
discussed on dev@ before folding it into trunk either by posting them or by
creating a developer branch.
This makes perfect sense to me as we are doing a collaborative effort in
creating the code and it shows that there is enough support for these
kind of changes. It helps avoiding a large back and forth in the trunk
and -1 votes on commits.
I don't think that we need any kind of written policy for this as I trust
the developers here to do it if it is needed.

Regards

RĂ¼diger