On 4/7/2012 2:00 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 07.04.2012 08:33, schrieb William A. Rowe Jr.:
>> So we have live registrars, no longer "experimental", who are now
>> registering domains in punycode.  Make of it what you will.
>>
>> Do we want to recognize non-ASCII strings in the ServerName|Alias
>> directives as utf-8 -> punycode encodings?  Internally, from the
>> time the servername field is assigned, it can be an ascii mapping.
>>
>> All thoughts appreciated, particularly references to fresh specs,
>> implementation guidance and compatible clients.
>
> serverconfigs -> punnycode
> dns in background -> punnycode
>
> self written backends -> input UTF8, transparent translation
> while generating serverconfigs and translate back for display
>
> nothing other happens if you make "nslookup würmlach.at"
> there is no "ü" in any configuration nor in EPP/DRI nor
> in any postfix/dbmail/dovecot configuration
>
> [harry@srv-rhsoft:~]$ nslookup würmlach.at ns1.thelounge.net
> Server:         ns1.thelounge.net
> Address:        85.124.176.242#53
> Name:   würmlach.at
> Address: 91.118.73.6

Reindl,

I'm having a hard time parsing what you are trying to communicate.

AIUI, your example above, you've either

 1. added RFC-incompliant high bit names to your own DNS, or

 2. running a punycode-aware flavor of nslookup.

Could you clarify?  I am truly interested in your feedback as one
active user of i18n domains, and the entire goal of any punycode
awareness within httpd is to make your lives easier.