Am 01.08.2012 18:25, schrieb William A. Rowe Jr.:
> On 4/7/2012 2:00 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>

>> Am 07.04.2012 08:33, schrieb William A. Rowe Jr.:
>>> So we have live registrars, no longer "experimental", who are now
>>> registering domains in punycode.  Make of it what you will.
>>>
>>> Do we want to recognize non-ASCII strings in the ServerName|Alias
>>> directives as utf-8 -> punycode encodings?  Internally, from the
>>> time the servername field is assigned, it can be an ascii mapping.
>>>
>>> All thoughts appreciated, particularly references to fresh specs,
>>> implementation guidance and compatible clients.
>>
>> serverconfigs -> punnycode
>> dns in background -> punnycode
>>
>> self written backends -> input UTF8, transparent translation
>> while generating serverconfigs and translate back for display
>>
>> nothing other happens if you make "nslookup würmlach.at"
>> there is no "ü" in any configuration nor in EPP/DRI nor
>> in any postfix/dbmail/dovecot configuration
>>
>> [harry@srv-rhsoft:~]$ nslookup würmlach.at ns1.thelounge.net
>> Server:         ns1.thelounge.net
>> Address:        85.124.176.242#53
>> Name:   würmlach.at
>> Address: 91.118.73.6
>
> Reindl,
>
> I'm having a hard time parsing what you are trying to communicate.
>
> AIUI, your example above, you've either
>
>  1. added RFC-incompliant high bit names to your own DNS, or
>
>  2. running a punycode-aware flavor of nslookup.
>
> Could you clarify?  I am truly interested in your feedback as one
> active user of i18n domains, and the entire goal of any punycode
> awareness within httpd is to make your lives easier

there is simply no need for UTF8 in servrnames
the nslookup you see is only a user-view

there are only ASCII chars in dns and http-config
without any special char and that is why IDN exists

ServerAlias xn--wrmlach-n2a.at www.xn--wrmlach-n2a.at

you will find no other expression than "xn--wrmlach-n2a.at"
for "würmlach.at" in dns, httpd and other services while
nslookup and any browser are happy with the special chars