Additional info:

We tried running the aws command line tool on the same host, calling
getBucketLocation against the same bucket - it works there just fine - and
returns in a timely fashion. But the internal call to getBucketLocation is
failing in  the jclouds aws S3 provider.

Question: Is there any way to configure the endpoint such that
getBucketLocation is not called by getBlob?

I didn't mention it above, but we're running jclouds 2.5.0 - the latest,
afaik.