Russ

I've just started using it in anger so I'll try and answer where I can
below....

>> 1. Going by the documentation, it looks like you can only run a
single copy
>> of farcry on your server as you have to install a central copy of the
core
>> files and use the admin via the default website. I added a virtual
directory
>> on my test site pointing to the farcry admin to get round this, but
it still
>> looks like you can only have one site as they would all login to same
admin
>> and thus the same database.

This may be true....

>> 2. There appears to be no ability to design the site layout. The demo
site
>> has the farcry header which doesn't appear to be possible to edit or
remove,
>> it appears to be hard coded. Thus can't change the logo etc.

Not true...you change the design using display methods... the following
link should be of some help..
http://farcry.daemon.com.au/go/documentation/developers/customisation/cr
eating-your-own-look-and-feel (page2)

>> 3. Navigation items are hard coded to the menus, so you cannot create
your
>> own custom menus as farcry just shoves this in by default. What if I
want to
>> add a container and content that is not shown on the navigation menu
but
>> which I can link to internally.

You can customize the navigation quite easily simply right clicking on
the nodes allows you to remove them or add children.

And the admin section as well...

http://farcry.daemon.com.au/go/objectid/B54EFE07-D0B7-4CD6-F9384192E5D18
D97#createTab

>> 4. dynamic Content objects. I cannot see anywhere to change these,
you
>> appear to be stuck with the NEWS, EVENTS, FACTS that are there by
default.

This article shows you how to build your own types, not sure how much
you can customermze the built in types.

http://farcry.daemon.com.au/go/documentation/developers/customisation/cu
stom-types

>> 5. Unable to add multiple content items to a page, if I add more than
1 HTML
>> page to my HOME nav, only 1 of them displays. What if I want to split
the
>> page into several content items/columns.

I believe you use containers to do this...

>> 6. I really couldn't say that it's designed with non technical people
in
>> mind, the admin is clunky, not particularly user friendly, and the
wording
>> used everywhere is pretty ambiguous and non descriptive. It really is
trial
>> and error trying to work out what does what, and any client would
require
>> serious training to use it, especially if they are really
technophobes.
>> Although the explorer tree, context menus and other DHTML effects are
neat.

I agree with you on both the documentation and the admin section - its
not exactly something you could just hand to a client and have them
quickly figure out how to use it, although it can be customized.

>> Basically it seems that if you want to be able to do anything more
than a
>> really basic geocities style "build your website" tool, you would
have to
>> add custom code.

You could well be right with that.

>> I was going to try out shado, but by the time they finished
installing a
>> trial for me and got it working, it had expired.

Funny as the same thing happened to me, one of the Shado guys gave us a
walkthrough when he was over here, it looked very, very good but
reminded very much of farcry (although the admin looked slightly more
intuitive).

Russ, best posting your thoughts on the farcry-dev  mailing list:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

HTH

Kola