Really?  The IIS setup is a piece of piss....true enough though it misses
off some simple stuff such as missing virtual directories and when to create
them.

-----Original Message-----
From: Russ Michaels (Snake) [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 17 September 2004 16:48
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [ cf-dev ] farcry

OK I finally got farcry working despite the absolute rubbish documentation.
I wonder if the person who wrote the docs actually bothered setting up
farcry on IIS.

So far I don't like it, so I'm going to give my lists of complaints, and if
anyone thinks it's a load of bollocks, feel free to tell me and convince me
to stick with it.

1. Going by the documentation, it looks like you can only run a single copy
of farcry on your server as you have to install a central copy of the core
files and use the admin via the default website. I added a virtual directory
on my test site pointing to the farcry admin to get round this, but it still
looks like you can only have one site as they would all login to same admin
and thus the same database.

2. There appears to be no ability to design the site layout. The demo site
has the farcry header which doesn't appear to be possible to edit or remove,
it appears to be hard coded. Thus can't change the logo etc.

3. Navigation items are hard coded to the menus, so you cannot create your
own custom menus as farcry just shoves this in by default. What if I want to
add a container and content that is not shown on the navigation menu but
which I can link to internally.

4. dynamic Content objects. I cannot see anywhere to change these, you
appear to be stuck with the NEWS, EVENTS, FACTS that are there by default.

5. Unable to add multiple content items to a page, if I add more than 1 HTML
page to my HOME nav, only 1 of them displays. What if I want to split the
page into several content items/columns.

6. I really couldn't say that it's designed with non technical people in
mind, the admin is clunky, not particularly user friendly, and the wording
used everywhere is pretty ambiguous and non descriptive. It really is trial
and error trying to work out what does what, and any client would require
serious training to use it, especially if they are really technophobes.
Although the explorer tree, context menus and other DHTML effects are neat.

Basically it seems that if you want to be able to do anything more than a
really basic geocities style "build your website" tool, you would have to
add custom code.

I was going to try out shado, but by the time they finished installing a
trial for me and got it working, it had expired.

Russ

--
These lists are syncronised with the CFDeveloper forum at
http://forum.cfdeveloper.co.uk/

CFDeveloper Sponsors and contributors:-
*Hosting and support provided by CFMXhosting.co.uk* :: *ActivePDF provided
by activepdf.com*
      *Forums provided by fusetalk.com* :: *ProWorkFlow provided by
proworkflow.com*
           *Tutorials provided by helmguru.com* :: *Lists hosted by
gradwell.com*

This e-mail is from Reed Exhibitions (Oriel House, 26 The Quadrant,
Richmond, Surrey, TW9 1DL, United Kingdom), a division of Reed Business,
Registered in England, Number 678540.  It contains information which is
confidential and may also be privileged.  It is for the exclusive use of the
intended recipient(s).  If you are not the intended recipient(s) please note
that any form of distribution, copying or use of this communication or the
information in it is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have
received this communication in error please return it to the sender or call
our switchboard on +44 (0) 20 89107910.  The opinions expressed within this
communication are not necessarily those expressed by Reed Exhibitions.
Visit our website at http://www.reedexpo.com