I think you have done the right thing even if some users are not necessarily
happy. The documentation about the new behavior is clear enough, but maybe it
needs to be more explicit.

In either I would just keep the plugin at ASF and do minimal maintenance like
you have been doing. If someone wants to step up and do more they can right
here easily enough or via pull requests.

Donating the plugin does not really solve anything imho. If someone really
wants to use the old setup they have many options (use old version, fork, help
us).

Reverting seems the wrong choice given that the new behavior is more in line
with common Maven idioms..

In a nutshell.. dont fret. Keep up the good work ;-)

Manfred