Well, file permission/access is indeed something to keep in mind.

E.g. virusscanner are known to block access to a file for a short moment.
IDEs can also cause issues. If some file/code changes causes background rebuild and you're doing an explicit Maven build yourself at the same time, you could have an issue.

IIUC the failing project isn't always failing. This could be an explanation.

Robert