To add to scope for Maven 4, IMO:

*1. <dependency> tag could have an optional <repo-list> arg:*

<dependency>
    <repo-list>my-team,mycorp</repo-list>
    <groupId>com.thoughtworks.xstream</groupId>
    <artifactId>xstream</artifactId>
    <version>1.4.10</version>
</dependency>

In the above, central is not checked at all.  my-team and my-corp are
defined elsewhere.

*2. GAV as a first class thing (optional):*

<dependency>
    <gav>com.thoughtworks.xstream:xstream:1.4.10</gav>
</dependency>

or

<dependency gav="com.thoughtworks.xstream:xstream:1.4.10"/>

For the first time ever people could do simple ack/ag/grep thru source
bases looking for things.

*3. More pluggable dependency resolver:*

I might want alternate places to source JARs from that are *not* HTTP
mounted system that match the Maven2 directory structure.

Like here - https://github.com/paul-hammant/xstream-jar/releases (and
associated blog entry -
https://paulhammant.com/2017/05/13/maven-central-as-multiple-git-repos/)

In particular I need to rework the jar as it is pulled into the local
~/.m2/repository cache - there's a root directory to remove.

- Paul