My wishlist as a user would be:

- incremental build (based on scm is fine)
- some built in scripting (groovy based?)
- plugin sorting from the pom (current rules are deterministic but too hard
to use so defining a dependency between two executions in the same phase
would be very handy - depends-on tag?)

As a plugin developper:

- programmatic component lookup api (it is deprecated at the moment)
- ability to contribute dependencies for next plugins/phases
(resolvedArtifacts)