On Jan 25, 2011, at 10:33 AM, Mark Struberg wrote:

> The problem here is that fundamental maven functionality got moved over to
> external jars. And now those jars got changed from ALv2 to EPL. Don't get me
> wrong, EPL is not a bad thing, but we cannot contribute to this library
> anymore without going all the (very stony) route of contributing patches to
> the Eclipse foundation. If they refuse the patches then maven is doomed to
> fail... As someone already mentioned: In the worst case maven3 will get
> nothing more than a plugin processor for aether. From a project perspective
> this is a no-go, so I strongly support the veto.

Yet, on the other hand the Eclipse Foundation consumes many ASL licensed
artifacts from the ASF. You don't see their projects spouting this nonsense.
That a project at the Eclipse Foundation is doomed because it has to consume
dependencies from Apache? Contributing at Eclipse is no more thorny then trying
to contribute at the ASF.

If an Apache project can only consume dependencies from within Apache and
nothing else is acceptable then that project is going to fail anyway.