On Jan 25, 2011, at 11:03 AM, Stephen Connolly wrote:

> On 25 January 2011 15:47, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> wrote:
>
>> On Jan 25, 2011, at 10:33 AM, Mark Struberg wrote:
>>
>>> The problem here is that fundamental maven functionality got moved over
>> to external jars. And now those jars got changed from ALv2 to EPL. Don't get
>> me wrong, EPL is not a bad thing, but we cannot contribute to this library
>> anymore without going all the (very stony) route of contributing patches to
>> the Eclipse foundation. If they refuse the patches then maven is doomed to
>> fail... As someone already mentioned: In the worst case maven3 will get
>> nothing more than a plugin processor for aether. From a project perspective
>> this is a no-go, so I strongly support the veto.
>>>

>> Yet, on the other hand the Eclipse Foundation consumes many ASL licensed
>> artifacts from the ASF. You don't see their projects spouting this nonsense.
>> That a project at the Eclipse Foundation is doomed because it has to consume
>> dependencies from Apache? Contributing at Eclipse is no more thorny then
>> trying to contribute at the ASF.
>>
>> If an Apache project can only consume dependencies from within Apache and
>> nothing else is acceptable then that project is going to fail anyway.
>>

> See: www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html
>
> There are a number of issues with how the various dependencies can get
> consumed. The PMC has yet to issue a ploicy on what kinds of dependencies
> are permitted for maven-core. When the PMC has decided the policy that will
> be communicated to the committers of Maven.
>
> EPL is more restrictive than ASLv2, therefore it is OK for EPL licensed
> projects to consume ASLv2 code... on the other hand it is not so acceptible
> for ASLv2 licensed projects to consume EPL licensed projects.

That is completely not true. Read the actual document you linked to. An Apache
project can consume EPL binaries.

> There are
> ways for an Apache project to consume and distribute EPL licensed code,

Yes, it's documented in the link you provided.

> however given that the PMC is currently working on the policy for Maven's
> core dependencies, Ralph has decided to temporarily veto any change of a
> dependency in maven-core to a non-Category A license.
>
> My understanding is that once the policy has been approved the veto will
> either be removed, or the policy will make clear what is to be done.
>
> I can appreciate that for somebody who has resigned from the PMC and the
> Apache foundation it may appear that the veto has come out of thin air.
>
> -Stephen

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

To do two things at once is to do neither.

 -—Publilius Syrus, Roman slave, first century B.C.