+user, I probably it would be good to hear from users as well.

Please see the original proposal as well as Alex's proposal and let us know
your thoughts.

To continue the discussion from where Alex left off:

> Other bugs and significant improvements, e.g., performance, may be back
> ported,
the release manager should ideally be the one who decides on this.

I'm a little puzzled by this, why is the release manager involved? As we
already document, backports occur when the bug is fixed, so this happens in
the steady state of development, not at release time. The release manager
only comes in at the time of the release itself, at which point all
backports have already happened and the release manager handles the release
process. Only blocker level issues can stop the release and while the
release manager has a strong say, we should generally agree on what
consists of a release blocking issue.

Just to clarify my workflow, I generally backport every bug fix I commit
that applies cleanly, right after I commit it to master (with the
exceptions I listed below).