Thanks for clarifying the backporting policy, BenM!

I totally agree with the changes proposed for the backporting policy, but I
realize two more scenarios that are more clear to me yet:

   - There are some bugs that are not fixable (due to legacy technical
   decisions), and we end up with fixing the issue by a semantic/behavior
   change in a new release. Do we expect this semantic/behavior change being
   backported?
   - There might be some bugs that root cause is unknown yet, but it did
   impact on a couple releases. If we decide to add some commits for debugging
   purpose (e.g., a new debugging endpoint, or more logging), should we also
   allow these patches to be backported?

For #2, I think we should do the backporting, but for #1, maybe more
discussion is needed since it relates to whether the user has to upgrade or
not.

Cheers,
Gilbert