I typically backport all bug fixes that cleanly apply and the risk is low.
It's a judgement call, but many of the time, you can easily tell the risk
is low.

I think my argument on why we want to do this is "why not". I want our
software to have less bugs!

Letting release manager decides which patch to backport or not does not
scale. Some release managers might even become dormant after a while.

- Jie