You need to configure the terminal correctly on the client and server side,
you also need to process the signals correctly.
For example, Ctrl+C is just the character 0x03 in the input stream.  Wether
you should terminate or not is your decision.  Del, backspace and tab are
also characters in the input stream, so it really depends on what kind of
shell you use on the server side.

If you want a complete example, you may want to have a look at JLine.
There is some sample integration code  with SSHD for both the client and
server side which I haven't committed to the master branch yet:

https://github.com/gnodet/jline3/blob/wip-ssh/remote-ssh/src/main/java/org/jline/builtins/ssh/