SSHd won't do anything about it, it simply focuses on transporting the data
and conveying all the needed informations.
It's the responsibility of the shell to implement things correctly, so the
only thing I can do (and did already) is to point you to a java shell which
is doing this.  If you write your own commands and shell, then you'll have
to do it yourself.