On 7 August 2013 21:14, Raphael Bircher <r.birc...@gmx.ch> wrote:

> Am 07.08.13 21:04, schrieb Rory O'Farrell:
>
>  On Wed, 7 Aug 2013 20:35:30 +0200
>> janI <j...@apache.org> wrote:

>>> At least the vm itself seems relative ok now.
>>>
>>> However, I can see that there has been mysql problems earlier, seems to
>>> be
>>> the old problem, that httpd tries to grap more connections than
>>> available.
>>>
>>> This time I could also see that the mysql buffer spaces had been pretty
>>> full, without knowing the forum software, I would say that some of the
>>> tables should be converted to innodb. We did that on mwiki, and that
>>> change
>>> alone allowed mysql to handle a lot more parallel select statements
>>> (60-70%
>>> of the total).
>>>
>>> In general the configs are ok for normal daily traffic but cannot handle
>>> peak situations.
>>>
>>> Rgds
>>> jan I.
>>>

>>>  Regards

>> which is a long way short of the maximum logged of 294. An interesting
>> thing I have noted is that it is often slow, leading to an error 10040 at
>> about 0930 UTC+1; this happens quite regularly.
>>
>>  Maybe this is the backup. Bugzilla has the same behavure at the same
> time. Or ASF Server simply don't like morning ;-)

good tip to the forum adminidtrator, backup script start at 6:46 UTC, with
a sqldump, then generating/encrypting backup files and finally rsync to the
backup server. This costs some cpu cycles and takes memory. This can cause
a simualted peak situation, when some users (30-40) at the same time are
quite active then the vm will have a problem.

rgds
jan I.