Hello Andrea, *,

> From: Andrea Pescetti [mailto:pesce...@apache.org]

> OK, so you mean: not only mailing list (that are easy to setup, for
> example a mailing list in German dedicated to events), but
> also ways to
> build a community. Here there's almost nothing we can do, say,
> "top-bottom"; this must grow from local events.

> [...]

> Local activities do not need coordination or approval. When I
> speak (in
> Italian) about OpenOffice at some nearby event, I don't ask
> for approval
> on the project lists and I simply clarify, at the event, that I'm not
> officially speaking on behalf of the project. The same holds
> for you and
> anyone else. We surely doesn't want to control communication
> at this level.

That is clear, but that 's not exactly what I mean.

Yes, a local community must grow themselves, but they need structures within the
overall international project.

( I speak in the following about German, but his statement applies to all
countries / languages)

First:
------
There is a difference between the German-speaking community [1] and the German
community [2] and the German community does not have a formal structure, such as
because the website de.openoffice.org is not the website of the German community
but only the German translation of the international website.
What is missing is the function as a part of the structure of the project.
There,
for example, missing official local representatives (in OOo these were the
co-leads).

[1]
these are people speak German, but do not work locally (for example developers)
[2]
these are people who work mainly locally

In the simplest case could be members of the AOO PMC additionally assume this
function, but that will not work well because "local representative" is a
full-time job. A good developer does not have the time for it.
I think we need to ask ourselves these questions of local structures and
_long-term_ need to create such structures.

Second:
-------
I join (mutatis mutandis) to the what Alexandro says: LibreOffice is way ahead
of
us in these things and they are it's a question of organization, manpower and
money.

In my work for OOo I know this is manpower important than money, but it depends
on
the right combination of money and manpower, both in software development as
well
as the local marketing work.

> They evolved with a totally different structure. This looks
> very bad and
> must be fixed. The most reasonable way to me seems that we
> will have a
> "common" part (English original, replicate for other languages; this
> includes the layout) and a "specific" part where materials in native
> language will be shown, specific to each language (documentation in
> native language, announces about "local" events... OK there's a mixup
> between languages and countries but you get the idea).

That's clear, but please look practice.

It is to say, a difference that _should be_ a English original there or it _must
be_ a English original there.
In the worst case, the requirement may, after an English original cause, the
volunteers do without your help.

Why?
Look at me, I am a professional expert on OpenOffice and it is easy for me a
ten-page article (in German) to write about the Extension Manager. The same
article, however, in English is very difficult for me.

> Nothing prevents you from linking to a third party forum,
> especially if
> we don't have
> an official resource.

OK.

> (Maybe we'll want to check trademarks
> usage there,
> but this is another issue).

Yes, clear.

> We don't have that budget available now. We do have a budget for
> OpenOffice events, but it is a one-time budget from which I expect we
> may spend a few thousands Euros/dollars per year. But in the
> next weeks
> we will probably see changes about targeted donations (now
> not used at
> Apache): this may allow to start dedicated fundraising
> campaigns if we
> find it useful to do so.

I think there is in practice a major problem, namely the donors want to donate
directly to work on Open Office and not for Apache in general.

It might be helpful for us if we would understand this concern for donors and
for
opportunities would open up.

I am, for example, believe that we could get enough donations for Open Office in
Germany to fund our local work and that could be used for general purposes of
Apache at the same time still have money left over. But we need clear agreements
for it, because of course the donors want their donation is tax deductible, and
that's a question of local law.

Greetings,
Jörg