> From: jan i [mailto:j...@apache.org]

> We need to be very careful here. I dont know the german laws,
> but in many
> countries a donation is only tax deductible if given to a non-profit
> foundation (like apache), as soon as the money is "earmarked"
> "targeted"
> they are not considered given to the foundation and therefore not
> deductible.
>
> The background for it is very clear, the tax offices dont
> want companies to
> start a project within a non-profit foundation, and thereby
> get immediate
> tax release (donation is released same year as given). If a
> company does
> development it is considered an invested and the tax release
> comes over
> typically 3-5 years.

You are absolutely right .

It is needless to mention at the moment details, because I did not intend with
my suggestion that we should do something in the short term .

I myself am but well informed about these legal issues because they concerned
us at the German OOo-community and because we are familiar in the third party
project http://www.prooo-box.org with it.

In addition, I would point out that we in the AOO community also have a right
German attorney, Michael (its committer id is "mikeadvo").

Gretings,
Jörg