On 01/14/2015 09:46 AM, Rory O'Farrell wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jan 2015 09:27:53 -0800 "Dennis E. Hamilton"
> <dennis.hamil...@acm.org> wrote:
>
>> Maintaining the independently-developed VCL GUI framework is an
>> important concern.  (Then there's UNO as a cross-platform COM
>> derivative.)
>>
>> The problem with much of the complexity of AOO, it seems to me, is
>> that it is difficult to find improvements that can be achieved with
>> progressions of small changes that have every- think still working
>> each step of the way. Combined with the level of expertise required
>> to know what changes are safe and consistent with the architecture
>> of AOO, there is a big challenge for identifying any major moves.
>>
>> It would be great to know what insights there are for cultivating
>> and sustaining the necessary expertise and maybe simplifying the
>> learning curve and entrance requirements.  Maybe just keep doing
>> more of what is already being done in this area?
>>

> Changing a GUI framework as discussed here is a major task - fraught
> with difficulty and hidden "gotchas".  It would be better to put the
> effort going into two areas: bug-fixing - there are many little bugs
> to be fixed; secondly, improvement in the functionality.  Here is not
> the place to start a debate on what needs to be changed/improved, but
> we should bear in mind that "bells and whistles" always attract
> users.  If we let competitive products outdistance us, we lose our
> share of the userbase.

Thanks for all the comments so far. Further thoughts --

* Given licensing conditions of Qt, I was hoping it could be handled as
our other  category-b licenses. This would depend on what libraries are
used of course.
* Yes, a daunting task which is why it hasn't already been done.
* I was initially thinking that a migration like this would:
-- free up developer time to concentrate on other aspects of AOO
-- relieve developers from continual maintenance in graphical environments
-- position AOO better for use on non-desktop platforms

Rory's comments --
" Here is not
> the place to start a debate on what needs to be changed/improved, but
> we should bear in mind that "bells and whistles" always attract
> users.

Ongoing maintenance and new developer knowledge are more a factor to me
than "bells and whistles", really.

"If we let competitive products outdistance us, we lose our
> share of the userbase"

No argument there.

>> -- replying below to --

MzK