I think these proposals are interesting as food for thought ...

 -- replying below to --
From: Fernando Cassia [mailto:fcas...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2015 09:00
To: dev@openoffice.apache.org; Dennis Hamilton
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Qt as a replacement for VCL

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 2:27 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamil...@acm.org
> wrote:

> Maintaining the independently-developed VCL GUI framework is an
> important concern.  (Then there's UNO as a cross-platform COM
> derivative.)

There's two possible approaches that I could see, long-term.

Separating the VCL GUI Framework as a separate Apache project, boosting its
adoption into OTHER FOSS and Apache projects. This way, it gets more
developers, more usage, and more fixes, faster.

<orcmid>
  I don't know enough about VCL to know how to stack it up against
  other GUI frameworks, most of which are sustaining quite successfully
  on their own.

  It might make more sense to see if there is an abstraction layer that
  makes integration in other GUI frameworks easier, but I suspect that
  there are well-known difficulties with that idea.

  I think it is important to have a portable, cross-platform approach,
  but it can also be very appealing to be able to adapt to native
  technologies that have performance and platform adaptability of their
  own, and have good sustainability.

  I have no insight into any of that.  Any exploration that comes to
  mind would be on something much smaller than AOO in order to have
  confidence in a proof-of-concept.

  Another consideration: How well one can get VCL interfaces tied to
  an underlying HTML/CSS/JavaScript mechanism, say WebKit or some
  flavoring of node.js?
</orcmid>

1b Doing the same for UNO

<orcmid>
  There are similar considerations here.  At an initial level of
  scrutiny, UNO is a Microsoft COM work-alike that avoids some
  platform messiness.  (I.e., the System Manager doesn't have to
  be ported everywhere.)  That's a good idea but it would also be
  a good idea, if feasible, to ensure binary interoperability with
  COM.  (I know that was figured out for JNI on Windows.)
  That should still provide the scripting inter-op, extension
  plug-ins, and allow reliance on native provisions where there is
  existing support, which means more off-loading to the platform
  when there are already COM interfaces to exploit.
</orcmid>

#2 Making AOO.Next use OpenJFX 2.2+, which is, incidentally, what ORCL
wanted to do with OpenOffice.org and StarOffice before the LO freedom
fighters *pun intended* caused the demise of the product and the layoffs.

http://www.devx.com/blog/2009/06/ellison-hints-at-oracles-java.html

OpenJFX is open source, and beginning with 2.2, allows native packaging of
JFX apps without requiring the installation or availability of the JRE.

Plus, OpenJFX allows the GUIs tweakling to be done in CSS, which in turn
allows for simple portability to mobile devices.
see http://code.makery.ch/blog/javafx-vs-html5/

So far, JavaFX seems to be pretty robust for mission critical apps... if in
doubt ask NASA ;)

http://tune.pk/video/2534676/polaris-javafx-controlsfx-and-fxyz-supporting-nasa-missions

For #2, however, there's licensing issues (OpenJFX being GPL) which I won't
get into because I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know how easy it'd be to
integrate with AOO..

<orcmid>
   The licensing issue apart, this means basically a switch of GUI and more
   Java-ness, however one manages to provide the runtime, if I understand what
   is involved.

   This strikes me as completely abandoning VCL (and I have no idea what it
   does for all the places where UNO is exposed).

   Now I wonder about gradualism and how one might migrate.  I can get my
   head around UNO migration, and I may even be delusional about that.
   It is very difficult to conceive of a rewrite into a completely
   different framework and execution model.

   So this raises the question about the relationship of AOO.next to
   AOO.present and whether we're talking about a new personal productivity
   suite with migration from AOO.past.
</orcmid>

#3 (I know I said two... but...) There's Apache Pivot's WTK tookit. I have
no idea of how well it compared to JavaFX
http://pivot.apache.org/tutorials/

<orcmid>
   OK, so it is more commitment to JVM languages.
   No licensing problem, apparently, but it may cut us off from the direction
   mobile applications are going.
</orcmid>

Food for thought, thinking aloud.

FC