On 01/29/2015 10:19 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> I didn't even know about this page,
> <http://www.openoffice.org/why/why_compliance.html>, until I saw an
> update on the Apache ooo-site SVN yesterday.  I glanced at it and
> didn't think much about it.
>
> Today, Simon Phipps has pointed out how strange that page is.  I
> agree.  If you stand back and look at the question from the
> perspective of someone interested in adopting Apache OpenOffice in
> use, this page is not helpful.  Something, if anything, more
> straightforward and pertinent is called for, based on what it is
> within our power to provide.  I am grateful to Simon for pointing out
> how over-reaching this page is.
>
> The current page speaks to matters that are none of our business as
> an Apache Project and it somehow raises a matter of specialized
> interest as if it matters broadly to adopters of software of various
> kinds.  The footnote that the ASF does not have such positions should
> have alerted me farther.
>
> I have only returned to the dev list for a few months, and I don't
> recall any discussion about that page and the posture it presents in
> that period.

It does seem that this page would be applicable to ALL of the ASF, so in
that sense it is not specific to OpenOffice, but I don't see it as harmful.

IMO, there are some parts of the first section that could be removed
without damaging the flow into the second section. And maybe a bit of
rewording to the second section. But on balance, I think it does serve a
useful purpose, whether it directly pertains to OpenOffice or not.

> SUGGESTION
>
> 1. Remove the page altogether.
>
> 2. Alternatively, perhaps make an affirmative page, if not already
> adequately covered, about the safe use of the Apache OpenOffice
> binaries that the project makes available.
>
> 2.1 That there is no requirement for licensing or registration, and
> that there are no limitations on the redistribution or use of the
> binaries (perhaps point to the Open Source Definition for more about
> that if anyone is interested).  This is a question that comes up from
> time to time and it would be good to have that answered (if not
> already -- I am not looking around, but I will).  I suppose this
> could be why_adopt or why_use.  It should also be respectful of the
> broad community of open-source contributions in this space.  (I am
> making up why_mumble names just to give the idea of the
> orientation.)

This is covered in our distribution
page...http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/

Should that be linked from the page in question.

> 2.2 Also point out that, as is the case for open-source software, the
> source code is always available from the Project.  That source code
> is available for modification, adaptation, and creating of anyone's
> own binary distributions so long as the applicable open-source
> licenses are honored.  This should be simple and perhaps link to a
> why_develop page.
>
> 2.3 The conditions, if any, that might face developers of extensions
> of various kinds to be used with the AOO binaries might also be
> mentioned, but just mentioned, and addressed with why_develop and any
> deep-dive details from there.
>
> This should all be done as an affirmation of how AOO is an
> open-source project and what is provided by the project.  It is not
> ours to explain or describe anecdotally or otherwise the
> circumstances that that can arise in accord with different licensing
> models.

Well, OK, maybe we need a better "umbrellla" page to cover some of these
concerns in some way.

> Otherwise, wouldn't we owe it to our users to explain that we provide
> no indemnification for patent violations that can arise by use of
> AOO-provided binaries (or source) in a manner where essential claims
> of some patent are infringed, and they also need to read the
> Disclaimer in the License?

??? not sure what you think is needed in this respect. These situations
arise on a regular basis by the way. We've tried to cover some of this
in the distribution page and in our download page...but maybe both of
these areas need more visibility.