On 2015-03-03 00:21, Rob Weir wrote:
On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 3:24 AM, Herbert Duerr <h...@apache.org> wrote:
On 2015-02-28 23:05, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
Rob Weir wrote:

It could be
even more useful, of course, if hosted as an actual (read-only)
repository, to consult the history of the code base.

Isn't this part of Herbert's big git repo with the whole code history
that it was possible to reconstruct?

Yes, my git repository of the AOO/OOo history [1] also contains the import
of the then available latest OOo-SVN repo. The old OOo project only used SVN
from 2008 to 2009 and though the SVN repo had imported a few CVS branches
the most interesting ones (e.g. all the CVS child-workspace branches where
the actual development happened between 2003-2008) were dropped during that
import and due to the way things were merged many interesting commit details
were dropped too.
[...]

Any idea why your ZIP is only 2GB, but my dump is 150GB?   Even when I
zip my svndump file it is still 21GB.   So I wonder if I have
something different or more than what you have.   Or is git really
that much more efficient at storing a revision history?

Yes, git can be extremely efficient for preserving code history. 99% of my 2GB blob consists of such "git pack" file. The zip format of my blob is mainly to add missing pieces (e.g. tag names, branch names, mailmap, grafts) and to prepare the directory layout as expected by typical git tools [1]. The zip-compression is quite irrelevant for the blob. Any other directory-preserving container would have been fine, but zip is well known and ubiquitous.

[1] https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/InterfacesFrontendsAndTools#Graphical_Interfaces

By the way, I just noticed that the historical blob just contains the OOo-CVS, OOo-SVN and OOo-HG histories. If needed the AOO history and maybe the LO history could be added later to get a more complete picture of all the relationships and interactions.

Herbert