On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 2:09 AM, Damjan Jovanovic <dam...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I see there was a historical attempt to upgrade the build environment
> to gbuild which migrated some modules
> (https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Build_Environment_Effort), and a
> more recent attempt, Capstone 2013, to get AOO to build in Visual
> Studio.
>
> Have we chosen a final build system yet?
>
> The reason I ask is that I became quite familiar with gbuild in the
> course of migrating our unit tests to Google Test, and have already
> successfully migrated one dmake module (formula) to gbuild, so if
> there are no objections, I am going commit those changes and carry on
> migrating other modules.

Go for it! When you say "migration" do you mean a COMPLETE changeover or
would we have both the dmake approach and gbuild for a time? It's important
to use a build system that has more universal acceptance in my opinion.

IMO, the important thing is to use gbuild and not necessarily emphasize the
Visual Studio aspect.

And, THANK YOU for taking this on.

> Our current hybrid build.pl + dmake/gbuild system is complex, ugly,
> slow, unreliable, and hard to maintain, and I believe it's also a
> barrier of entry for new developers

I think many of us would agree with this. Although, the current build.pl
does provide some nicety in its own way.

> (https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Build_System_Analysis). LO has
> already migrated their build system to pure gbuild. Shouldn't we?
>
> Regards
> Damjan

MzK

“The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.”
                                                          --Lao Tzu