Building AOO with Java 8's very strict javadoc tool was fixed in SVN trunk
only, by r1697228, r1697237, r1697247, r1697306, and r1697312, so yes it
should work well for building AOO now, and it's the only version I've been
testing for months on FreeBSD. Base works, wizards work, beanshell scripts
works, bvt/fvt/pvt tests generally pass (I haven't compared test results
with different Java versions).

LibreOffice supposedly builds with Java 6.

Java 7 added major new language features, like try-with-resources,
diamonds, switch on strings, so requiring Java >= 7 would be good for
development purposes. But then users can't use any older JRE version, which
might be a problem for unofficial Java implementations that are a little
behind (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Java_virtual_machines).
When last I checked, the only fast JVM on the Raspberry Pi with the hard
float (hf) kernel was CACAO, which only supports Java 1.6.

A while ago I did find a way to change the bytecode and class file version
of the class files produced by Java 1.7's javac, to make most language (as
opposed to API) features work on 1.6 and 1.5 JREs. I even have a Maven
plugin to do this. I can look into it again if necessary?

Oh and should we maybe use Maven for building Java code instead of
dmake/gbuild/ant?

Damjan