On Sun, Dec 6, 2015 at 11:56 AM, Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
wrote:

> On 17/11/2015 Kay Schenk wrote:
>
>> On 11/17/2015 02:17 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:
>>
>>> Java 6 went out of update status quite some time ago -- Feb. 2013 --
>>> and this is still being used for our Linux builds, and Windows
>>> builds if our current binaries are produced with the same
>>> configuration as the buildbot configurations.
>>>
>> oops! an errate from me. Java 7 is used for Windows builds. And I
>> don't know what is used for Mac.
>>

> We build releases with Java 6 on all platforms.

​For some reason, given Oliver's desire and urging to change to Java 7 in
Windows back in August of 2013, I was under the impression that since that
time, at least the Windows version was built with Java 1.7. ​

> I think we discussed this long ago on this list and it was concluded that
> this was the safest option to produce builds that can run with no issues on
> Java 6.

​This topic has indeed been discussed in the past.  Can you refresh our
memories on what you mean by "safest"? When I build with "verbose" I do see
messages about deprecation for some of what we're using, but I also wonder
about how "safe" it is to continue to build with such an old version of
Java.

There was some discussion that centered around the HSQLDB version we were
packaging and using later versions of Java with that. Right now, building
with Java 8 on Linux-32, I am not finding any issues in this area.​