The line-ending business is a mess.

The normal approach with SVN and Tortoise SVN is to set the system to bring
platform-dependent line breaks to the working folder on check-out and updates
and to use the standard on-repository (LF = NL, no CR) on check-ins.  This is
by file type (wildcard) because it must be used only on text files, using the
[auto-prop] option svn:eol-style=native.  (Text file names with no file
extensions are not helpful in that respect, as they have to be individually
named in the svn config.)

The pain is that this appears to be a global setting for SVN and Tortoise SVN.
You set the svn:eol-style on individual file types in the [auto-props] section
of the SVN config file, and have the enable-auto-props option set in
[miscellany].

You can choose to use the on-repository form in the working folder.  The
problem is that if you use Windows tools (Visual Studio, Visual Code, jEdit,
whatever), you have to ensure that they use the same convention when they
*save* files into the working folder.

The better Windows development tools are ecumenical about what they accept, not
being confused with either CRLF or LF (NL) alone.  And some can be controlled
in what they produce.  The problem is using multiple repositories with
different approaches.

 - Dennis