One can always create an independent entity.  It hasn't happened.  By now, the
odds are clearly that it will not.  I suspect that folks who would pursue that
avenue do not see a meaningful opportunity.

My considered opinion is that the greatest barrier is lack of a meaningful
business/operation/funding model.  In addition, there is an insufficient supply
of developers having the capacity, capability, and will to provide material
improvements to Apache OpenOffice.  Whatever the pool might be, it is aging and
shrinking for many reasons.  The affliction that Apache OpenOffice suffers
under in that respect also besets any organization set up to support the code,
even with paid developers.

I also don't think working on Apache OpenOffice is much of a resume builder,
since there is no other project like it and probably will never be.  There are
far easier projects to build an open-source reputation with, ones that build
developer skills in areas where there is a growing and future demand.

Having suggested this much, I don't think it is meaningful to address how an
external entity could "ensure they work on the AOO codebase using the ASF way."

If my appraisal is sound, that leaves us with the question about sustainability
of the Apache OpenOffice project itself, and what the consequences of
unsustainability are.

 - Dennis