[orcmid]

I think that is the case because downstream producers, who get the support
business, contribute to their upstream framework or source-code distributor.

What indication is there that any of that is working for Apache OpenOffice?
Maybe if we stopped shipping binaries?  How would that work for the individuals
who seem to dominate our download consumption?

> > I also don't think working on Apache OpenOffice is much of a resume
> builder,
>
> What builds resumes is the specific contributions one makes. The
> specific project, be it AOo, No Man's Sky, BLEACHER, or anything else,
> is irrelevant.
>
> >since there is no other project like it and probably will never be.
>
> At least four other office suites utilize code from AOo. There are at
> least a thousand office suites for Android, and iOS, for which AOo
> development is a useful starting point.
>
> > If my appraisal is sound, that leaves us with the question about
> sustainability of the Apache OpenOffice project itself,

> Back in the 2003-2005 time frame, there were several organizations
> licensing their rebranded version of OOo for between US$20 and US$5,000
> per seat, per year. For various reasons, I quit tracking that data, and
> thus don't know what the current situation is.
>
> A decade ago, it was fairly difficult to find worksites of more than
> 1,000 that used OOo. Today, worksites of more than 5,000 users, using an
> OOo derivative, are not not that scarce. Somebody is providing tech
> support for those worksites.
[orcmid]

And how does any of that contribute to the development of Apache OpenOffice?
As far as I can tell, those downstream activities are invisible to the project.

 - Dennis