As different "technical press" outlets make their own derivations of other
articles, there is incorrect quotation and reference to historical matters that
have nothing to do with the present state and how we move forward.

For me, the LWN and ArsTechnica coverage is relatively fact-based.  Now, there
are some others that tend to be more responsible with regard to journalism:

 * PCWorld
<http://www.pcworld.com/article/3116445/open-source-tools/openoffice-coders-debate-retiring-the-project.html>.

 * ZDNet, on the other hand, is lazily derivative by borrowing on other
articles.  It also shows ignorance of how Apache projects operate when it
mentions "lack of funding." and perpetuates the idea that Microsoft Office or
LibreOffice be switched to in the CVE advisory.  The statement about other
products was for testing dodgy Impress documents that users might be concerned
about.  In any case, now that there is a hotfix, Version 2.0 of the advisory
does not need to address that.
<http://www.zdnet.com/article/onetime-ms-office-challenger-openoffice-we-may-shut-down-due-to-dwindling-support/>.

Finally, this discussion is not a zero-sum game.  Striving to expand
development coverage and address the need to be able to make timely maintenance
updates for dangerous defects, including security vulnerabilities are all
important.  This [DISCUSS] is about anticipating all of the stages and moving
parts to address as part of any graceful retirement.  That there is also
inspiration of non-retirement alternatives is very useful and the rush to
address that is heartening.  But all paths are contingent on having the
capacity to act and adequate expert capabilities.  If retirement is the
direction taken, that must also be while there is the capacity to carry it out.

It is also important to understand that this public list is *the* place to
address all of that.  It is how the Apache Software Foundation provides
transparency and embraces its community in developing its technical approaches,
always striving to serve the public interest as required in its Charter.  Being
suppressed by worries of outside scrutiny and adversarial articles and
bravely and openly.

 - Dennis