Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
One option for remedy that must be considered is retirement of the project.  ...
There are those who fear that discussing retirement can become a
self-fulfilling prophecy.

This is becoming too much. There are other options. Namely, a new release will invalidate the prerequisites for your mail. Out of respect for the people who volunteered to steer a new release we should be supportive of them instead of playing the "what if" game.

Still, thank you for showing that retirement would be much more difficult than making a new release! So the best (my favorite) option is now clearly to make a release happen.

Regards,
  Andrea.