Hi Jim,

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 10:13:08AM -0400, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> It looks like most of the epm patch is not related to OSX (except for
> some minor things)...

last time I tried on Linux some years ago with the latest upstream, it had
several bugs; looking at the release notes, it seems they fixed several Linux
bugs.
https://www.msweet.org/projects.php?Z2

> The reliance on PackageMaker is a major
> hurdle and one which will only get worse as things go on.
>
> epm 4.3 may not be feasible for non-OSX but so far it's been a
> major boon for the Mac.

The build system seems to do some weird things, checking if epm is
patched by AOO:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/trunk/main/solenv/bin/modules/installer/epmfile.pm?revision=1591062&view=markup#l849
I guess unpatched epm breaks somewhere.

Note that we could also update the AOO patch to make epm get rid of the
PackageMaker, the patch already fixes the path:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/trunk/main/epm/epm-3.7.patch?revision=1413471&view=markup#l381
We could change that system call.

> Has anyone been in contact w/ Michael Sweet to get our required
> patches into his distro??

It seems that Sun developers didn't care about upstreamming their fixes,
I tried now to look at the 4.3 bug fixes, and it required an account...
https://www.msweet.org/login.php?PAGE=bugs.php%3FU497%2BP0%2BS-2%2BI0%2BE0%2BZ-1%2BQ

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile