On 10/4/2016 4:24 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:

On Oct 3, 2016, at 3:49 PM, Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org> wrote:

On 10/3/2016 12:45 PM, Marcus wrote:
Am 10/03/2016 09:40 PM, schrieb Patricia Shanahan:
Testing seems to be going well, but there is a very specific requirement
for a release.

A PMC member, to cast a binding +1 vote approving a relese, needs to
have built the software from source and tested it on a machine under the
PMC member's control. See
http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#release-approval

PMC members please indicate when they have done that test, to help me
decide when to start a vote.

I've build today that branch with release options. Is this sufficient or
do I need to build from the [zip|gz|bzip] file?

I believe it does have to be from the zip etc. but I am not sure. The actual
wording is:

"Before casting +1 binding votes, individuals are REQUIRED to download all signed
source code packages onto their own hardware, verify that they meet all requirements of
ASF policy on releases as described below, validate all cryptographic signatures, compile
as provided, and test the result on their own platform."

The release is the tarball/zip itself and not the "tag". So it (the
build) needs to be from the zip/tarball.

I have built and run from the zip. I have also decompressed and
extracted each of the tarballs, and used "diff -r" to confirm they are
each identical to the zip. I do plan to do the signature and hash checks
for each of the three files.