Ivo Hinkelmann wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> Frank Schönheit - Sun Microsystems Germany wrote:
>
>> Today, the process for new strings involves specifying both the germany
>> and the english string in the spec document, and writing them into the
>> .src (done by the developer). If the german string is not to be entered
>> at source-level anymore, how would this work? Would only the english
>> string be specified, and the german version is part of the usual
>> translation process?
>
> Yes why not! To handle German as a usual translation language has a lot
> of benefits:
>
> - In a international open source project having German source language
> strings looks a bit strange to me ( and confuse non German speaking
> developers a lot )
>
> - There is only one "truth" . Imagine you have two strings where en-US
> and de translation does not match. What is the "real" one ? We already
> had such cases.

Usually the german text is the "real one" because most people creating
the UI specs are native german speakers and we usually need a native
english speaker to create useful english texts.

So IMHO we still need the german strings in the specifications. The only
alternative is to have native english speakers writing the specification
part dealing with the strings, but that is unlikely to happen.

This change is good for building the code but it is not well prepared
IMHO because it creates problems for the specification process.

Ciao,
Mathias

Please reply to the list only, [EMAIL PROTECTED] is a spam sink.