>From: "Craig McClanahan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> Sorry for the late response ... still catching up from a backlog due
> to being on the road for most of May. Comments below.

> > > For the most part, the trunk and 1_0_x branch are the same. I can only
> think of one commit that was not made to the both. I'd like to see us move
> the
> trunk to JSF 1.2 and then we could mix in the annotations as part of the base
> libraries.
> > >

> > shale-dialog has considerable deltas (the helper class, some new
> > listener methods etc. -- many @since 1.1.0 tags if you dig into the
> > code). This was under the understanding that no new features went into
> > the 1.0.x line after v1.0.4.
> >
> > If we want to move trunk to JSF 1.2, that should either happen at
> > v1.1.0 or should wait for the next line of development (v1.2.0) IMO.
> > Depending on JSF versions and when currently unreleased new features
> > frum trunk get released, here are the potential release scenarios:
> >
> > SCENARIO A:
> >
> > 1.0.x --> JSF 1.1, no new features beyond v1.0.4
> > 1.1.x --> JSF 1.1, seeded from current trunk
> > 1.2.x --> JSF 1.2
> >
> > SCENARIO B:
> >
> > 1.0.x --> JSF 1.1, no new features beyond v1.0.4
> > 1.1.x --> JSF 1.2, seeded from current trunk
> >
> > SCENARIO C:
> >
> > 1.0.x --> JSF 1.1, merge current deltas (mostly dialog new features) from
> > trunk in 1.0.x line
> > 1.1.x --> JSF 1.2, seeded from current trunk
> >
> > Preferences?
> >

> My personal preference would be for scenario A over scenario B or C,
> but with a twist ... target the JSF 1.2 based stuff for a 2.x release
> series, rather than 1.1 or 1.2. Why? Because a redesign of the
> existing APIs to take JSF 1.2 into account (and therefore also become
> dependent on Java SE 5) is very likely to require some significant
> changes (just as one example, much of "tiger" basically goes away and
> becomes part of the core functionality in "view" and other places), so
> upping the major version number would be more appropriate.

I'd like also like to see the annotation processor moved to the core with
a pluggable way to register handlers.  It seems silly to scan the classpath
multiple times for each library that might have future annotations.  Maybe
a commons chain would be a good way to register annotation handlers?

> Version numbers aside, I would prefer A over B. We need to put out a
> new release anyway; the ease of use additions in the current trunk are
> modest but nice, and if we focused on just finishing 1.1 we might
> actually get a release out this year :-).

+1

> I don't like C -- we still
> want to have the *ability* to go back and do a 1.0.5 if some security
> problem or something rears its head; in the mean time, lets just get
> 1.1 done and out the door while we start talking about what the future
> might hold. And that starts from us (yes, me included :-) rolling up
> our sleeves and addressing the current issues in the trunk code -- and
> *perhaps* backporting bugfixes to the 1.0 branch, but that needn't be
> a priority.
>
> > -Rahul
> >

> Craig

Gary