>From: Mario Ivankovits <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> Hi!
> > I sent out an e-mail to the Shale mailing list a week or so ago about the
> > possibility of merging Shale with MyFaces. Development of Shale has become
> > somewhat stale, and I'd rather see MyFaces pickup the pieces than have the
> > code base atrophy The overwhelming consensus for the Shale list is "yes"
> > (and Craig is no exception). What does the MyFaces PMC think?
> >
> I am +1.
>
> I think we just have to define which modules we would like to take over:
> (BTW, this list is not to offend anyone, if this might happen, then
> sorry in advance - it might be just due to not sensitively enough
> choosen english wording.)
>

> * Application Controller
> Don't know. I thought action oriented frameworks are outdated, though,
> Seam seems to introduce this paradigm again too.

-1

> * Clay
> Don't know. I am happy that we (I) moved away from html to components.

+0

I'm pretty certain that JSF 2 will have some kind of template language
that is not JSP.  I'm also certain that it won't try inheritance but will most
likely look like facelets + jsftemplating.

To be honest, I've never had a chance to use Clay outside of just building
it.  I know there are a couple adopters that we should consider
feedback from.

Actually, I'm looking forward too trying it all over with the 2.0 jsf impl.

> * Core Library
> Might be a must have
>
> * Dialog Manager
> * Dialog Manager (Basic Implementation)
> * Dialog Manager (SCXML Implementation)
> The Dialog Manager might be a next step for MyFaces Orchestra. Anyway, I
> hope that one of the original developers is still there to help out with
> things.

+1

> * Remoting
> Unsure, as most of this can be done with PPR too.

+1

JSF 2.0 will have resource delivery that is based on Shale Remoting.

> * Spring Integration
> Unsure, I didn't get whats the advantage to the intregration with Spring

-1

> * Test Framework
> Must have I think

+1
Shale test is a must.  IMO, it's one of the best nuggets in the bunch.

> * Tiger Extensions
> Interesting, however, I'd like to tell everyone to use Spring as MB
> facility. And then Spring needs to provide such annotations (which are
> already existent I think)

+1
JSF 2.0 is also considering Shale Tiger in the specification.

> * Tiles Integration
> See Clay.

+0

Clay and tiles are two different things.  I know that there needs to be some
work done
to make shale-tiles work with JSF 1.2 and integrate with tiles (tlp) 2.x.

Rich ADF faces has a JSP templating feature that's pretty cool but don't have
the rich
nested composition options that tiles has.  Unsure of the status of that one...

> * Validator Support
> A generic client/server validation library for JSF would be REALLY nice.
> Just, I don't like the idea just having a single component for this
> (val:commonsValidator), at least, this one needs to be extended.

-1  I did allot of work on commons validator and I really believe that the only
way to
make this work (client-side) is to couple it into a component library
framework.

> * View Controller
> This needs to be reviewed and merged with the Orchestra one if possible

+1

> I am not going to vote an any of these components yet, first, I'd like
> to see a discussion about them.
> The reason is simple, even MyFaces has some "man/women power" problems
> currently I think. If no one is willing to pick up one of these modules
> they are dead in MyFaces land too.
> Point is, that too many dormand modules in MyFaces might harm the
> MyFaces community. We might create a dormand section where we move those
> modules then to express that we are waiting for someone with some urge
> to pick them up again.
>
> Ciao,
> Mario

Gary