Having worked with both together for the past year I think combining
shale and myfaces would be a good thing.  I have alot invested in
both, my team having just finished a large production system.  I think
clay is underrated and I would hate to see it dropped completely in
favor of facelets.  Clay's inheritance features have saved us alot of
work, and I don't see facelets supporting this feature.  Also, my team
has been able to encapsulate many of our common application fragments
using clay (1).  Not sure if this could have been accomplished as
easily using facelets.

(1) http://wiki.apache.org/shale/ReusableClayJars