Tim Adams wrote:
Our experience with our customer base indicates that MSVC 7.0 was
abandoned quickly in favor of 7.1.

FWIW - that same generation, VS.NET's C++.NET implementation model
was completely abandoned and restructured in VS.2005 (a massively
better syntax, IMHO).  Seems quite a few users have parked on 2003
just because of the nasty implications of moving to 2005 (at least
for the C compiler).  But 2002 / VC 7.0?  I agree it appears to be
abandonware.

A bigger reference point is that VS 2003, 2005 and 2008 compilers
can be found for free, which makes the call for VC 6 and 7 much
less compelling.  When compiler tools were quite expensive for
Joe Hacker, there was a real incentive to help Joe out and keep
supporting his old compiler.

With MS awakening to the significance of free compilers on every
real operating system, they've blinked, and made that headache
dissolve for us.

Bill