Mark,
I was reading Getting Started With Grails this weekend and the more I look at Grails, the more I see your Groovy Works effort fitting into a Grails mini-porting effort to Struts 2. Much of what you describe is already in Grails and I think the last thing we need is yet another groovy web framework. :)

Just to expand upon this, I think there are 3 main pieces we would need to make this work: 1. A new plugin based on Don's rest plugin that maps incoming request to grails controllers. 2. A grails controller engine that can take the grails request, provide the necessary context and execute a grails controller. 3. A GSPResult that can create the context for the GSP page and execute the GSP page.

I did some work on this over the weekend and it didn't take too much effort to get a GSPResult going. (Although the templated executed, it didn't display any data because I didn't have a ModelAndView for the template to run against)
Tom