Mladen Turk wrote:
No.
I would like that we accept in our (Tomcat) community much
more pluralism, in a similar way the Apache httpd community
does with mpm models.

Neither blocking, APR or eventually NIO will ever be
the best solution for a particular user needs.
Blocking will outperform any solution for a complex
applications. APR will outperform any other solution
where large static file delivery is required, etc...

Let's focus and actually see if the current connector
API allows to build those various connectors.
I think it does, so it's up to implementor to implement
the connector.

Then, we can simply have multiple connectors that will
allow users to choose the optimal one according to the
needs, not to what we think he might need.

I do not wish to have any pluralism in this area, as it is not the same as having the httpd pluralism. There's a functional need for this pluralism (process friendly OS, thread unsafe modules, etc), and besides we're talking about the IO API, not the thread pool.

The question is: should we redesign the low level stuff *again* to be more abstract, etc, to be able to have as little IO API specific code in the connectors ? (and most likely standardize on the limited NIO feature set) My answer to this is no, APR is the only good solution right now, so there's no need for more abstraction layers.

Pluralism in a shipped product is bad: we need to provide one good solution at a given point in time, not 10. That solution may change in the future, however (but I doubt it, since I don't see NIO providing any of the platform specific stuff APR provides), and experimentation using separate connectors is obviously ok.

Rémy