On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 2:16 AM, Antonio Petrelli
<antonio.petre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all
> I am thinking about new features for Velocity Tools.
>
> One can be included into 2.1 version: JSP tag library inclusion in
> Velocity templates.
> I think this would be an interesting feature, because there is a lot
> of tag libraries out there. In particular what I love much:
> DisplayTag.
> Including JSP taglibs is a very useful feature of Freemarker and
> Velocity is well behind it.
> I am thinking of implementing it using directives (not tools) because
> tools do not have body.
> I will start working on it at once in the trunk, stop me at any time
> and I will revert the job if you don't want it.

sounds fine to me.  i've looked into doing this myself several times.
you might want to peruse the list archives for previous discussions
about syntax/implementation possibilities.  i know it's been discussed
at least once.

> About something in a distant future, we can remove the dependency on
> servlets technology for Velocity Tools.
> What I've been doing in Tiles sandbox is extracting an API and a
> series of technology-supporting modules to abstract the concept of
> "request". You can see the result here:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tiles/sandbox/trunk/tiles-request/
> This can be useful for Velocity Tools to use any technology that
> implements this API (currently servlets, portlets, JSP, Velocity and
> Freemarker).

sounds fine.  some work has already been done toward this (i.e.
VelocityView -> VVTag and VVServlet).  it could be nice to see portlet
support and amusing to announce that VelocityTools works in
Freemarker, though i'm not sure anyone would necessarily want that.

> If Velocity adopts this library, it can work, for example, under a
> portlet environment without using a separate servlet.
> This library works well in the sandboxed version of Tiles, the probable Tiles
> 3.
>
> Moreover, this tiles-request library is used by another subproject,
> "tiles-autotag" to generate JSP tags, Velocity directives and
> Freemarker directive models starting from simple classes with an
> "execute" method. Again, this works in sandboxed Tiles:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tiles/sandbox/trunk/tiles-autotag/
> One idea that today has come to my mind is to move this library as a
> subproject of Velocity, since it uses Velocity intensively to generate
> tags.

I haven't actually looked at the autotag stuff.  Can you give an
example usecase?