I did not double checked but I don't remember this to be the case in
my previous quick tests with Velocity 2.0: I get

    [WARN] Object 'java.lang.String' does not contain method tyty() at
mytemplate[line 1, column 36]

warnings despite the fact that I did not modified
"runtime.references.strict" default.

The warnings I get are coming from
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/velocity/engine/trunk/velocity-engine-core/src/main/java/org/apache/velocity/runtime/parser/node/ASTMethod.java?view=markup#l179
while I can see in debug mode that
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/velocity/engine/trunk/velocity-engine-core/src/main/java/org/apache/velocity/util/ClassUtils.java?view=markup#l220
have the expected behavior (it does not enter the if and the boolean
is based on "runtime.references.strict" property). It seems to just be
missing a if on strictRef value.

Tell me if I should create an issue on
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VELOCITY.

--