On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 4:41 PM, Jeremy Thomerson <jer...@wickettraining.com
> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 4:40 PM, Jeremy Thomerson <
> jer...@wickettraining.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 2:37 PM, Igor Vaynberg
>> <igor.vaynb...@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> what if we factor out html packages out of core? core wont have a
>>> dependency on them. then all people will have to change from
>>> wicket-core to wicket-html. the "wicket" module serves as a "standard
>>> wicket profile" which is everything you need to run on a servlet
>>> container and build web apps.
>>>

>> Gotcha.  So, please cast a vote (this is not an official vote thread, but
>> I want to get the feelings on this) for one of the following two methods of
>> handling this:
>>
>> [ ] - Just forget about the aggregated wicket.jar and modify the wicket
>> module a pom-only module.  This means Maven users can eternally depend on
>> wicket only, and not care about how we (re-)structure our code.  Non-maven
>> users will have to download all the separate jars, or use Ivy, or whatever.
>>
>> [ ] - Make an aggregated jar for classes, one for sources, and one for
>> javadocs.  This means that people can accidentally end up in classpath
>> nightmares by having multiple duplicate classes on their classpath.  It
>> helps non-Maven users by making a single jar download.
>>
>> --
>> Jeremy Thomerson
>> http://wickettraining.com
>> *Need a CMS for Wicket?  Use Brix! http://brixcms.org*
>>

> I'm +1 for this one:
>
> [+1] - Just forget about the aggregated wicket.jar and modify the wicket
> module a pom-only module.  This means Maven users can eternally depend on
> wicket only, and not care about how we (re-)structure our code.  Non-maven
> users will have to download all the separate jars, or use Ivy, or whatever.

It seems so far that most are in agreement with this.  I tried to do this
briefly tonight, but apparently my Maven foo isn't high enough.  If anyone
wants to try it out, feel free.  You can see a diff of what I tried at [1].
 I tried several variations, but I think I have a core problem with the
approach.  Basically, I figured that I could make the wicket module a
pom-only project that listed a dependency on -core.  Later, a dependency on
-html could exist if that were created.  -core brings with it -util and
-request.

Then, I changed all other modules that were depending on -core to depend on
plain "wicket".  But, that didn't work.  They kept looking for "wicket.jar",
even though I wasn't building a jar.  I tried several variations of making
it a pom-only project, but perhaps this approach won't work at all.  I
haven't ever tried this sort of thing before with Maven.  Feel free to give
me a tip, or a working patch :)

[1] - http://mysticpaste.com/view/4881/text (trying out Lombardi's paste
tool.... you need a "unified diff" colorizer :)