perhaps this is not strictly a kannel question...YET!!
but this is a developers list, and other people writing C code on linux are
here.

In case you haven't got it yet, the way kannel modems are currently
configured,
by the device name, ie /dev/ttyUSB00 for example....

now if you have many modems, and you happen to take one out, the usb devices
re-enumerate themselves.
so the modem now that you have may no longer be the GSM for vodafone, for
example, but telstra....
kannel restarted and your screwed.......your now sending sms via telstra at
double the cost!!

this is NOT what you want, because...
Eg
group = smsc
smsc = at
smsc-id = 001

group = sendsms-user
username = vodafone
password = bar
forced-smsc = 001

so when sending to the vodafone modem, we are forcing the routing to smsc-id
= 001.

this is perfectly acceptable with serial com ports and multi-com ports like
stallion etc,
because the com ports do not change...unless you physically swap cables.

but with usb, this is no longer reliable.

So I am attempting to come up with a solution where

group = smsc
smsc = at
smsc-id = 001
modemserial = 10202020 ( or whatever...something that identifies the
particular sim and/or modem)

note this is a complete paradigm shift in how the modems are specficed to
how kannel currently does it..

so mate is this still  ":So this is not really kannel question:"
???