On 16.08.2006, at 11:41, fred wrote:

perhaps this is not strictly a kannel question...YET!!
but this is a developers list, and other people writing C code on linux are
here.

In case you haven't got it yet, the way kannel modems are currently
configured,
by the device name, ie /dev/ttyUSB00 for example....

now if you have many modems, and you happen to take one out, the usb devices
re-enumerate themselves.

This depends on the USB modem driver. Some of them might simply numerate them, others might not.

so the modem now that you have may no longer be the GSM for vodafone, for
example, but telstra....
kannel restarted and your screwed.......your now sending sms via telstra at
double the cost!!

This is however not avoidable. Kannel has no way of checking which is which.

this is NOT what you want, because...
Eg
group = smsc
smsc = at
smsc-id = 001

group = sendsms-user
username = vodafone
password = bar
forced-smsc = 001

so when sending to the vodafone modem, we are forcing the routing to smsc-id
= 001.

this is perfectly acceptable with serial com ports and multi-com ports like
stallion etc,
because the com ports do not change...unless you physically swap cables.

but with usb, this is no longer reliable.

Yes but how should kannel know the mapping? This is highly operating system and driver specific. There is no way for kannel to know which modem has which SIM card in it. And frankly in your case you probably have the same modem type multiple times, so there's no way to figure out which is which out of the scope of kannel as all will respond exactly the same way.

So I am attempting to come up with a solution where

group = smsc
smsc = at
smsc-id = 001
modemserial = 10202020 ( or whatever...something that identifies the
particular sim and/or modem)

thats just the point, there is no such "unique" thing.
The ATI1... ATI9 commands might output something like that on SOME modems but then, if you swap sim cards or remove one in the row, youre still screwed because kannel would know which one is which but has no way to resolve the problem.

What you could maybe do is a script to verify your specific configuration before you start kannel. As this is OS and configuration specific, this might work for you fine but I dont think its wise to add anything like this to kannel.