1. Keep the mactel-boot stuff (pretty but weird), and write up test
cases specifically to account for the weirdness in particular how to
reset the state of the computer so it's possible to do clean installs.
There are a couple of ways to do this. Burden is on Mac testers.

2. Explore treating Macs like any other kind of EFI computer, which
means doing no better than Ubuntu or openSUSE where I think they
largely recommend using rEFInd for their bootmanager instead of GRUB.
So there's this connotation of being handed off to some other project
out of the gate. Easier to test, but puts more burden on all Mac
users.

3. Apple has hypervisor.framework which is a user space hypervisor
rather than kernel extension based; and might be a suitable way of
getting Fedora running on macOS, without depending on VirtualBox.
Here's a write up on CoreOS using it. I understand Docker is using it
also.

https://deis.com/blog/2015/get-started-coreos-os-x/

If there's enough interest, 1 & 3 are possible. If it's a case of
interest being on life support then only 1 is possible which probably
eventually slides back to 2, where we've been before.

Chris Murphy