On Sun, 2022-06-12 at 13:59 +1000, Ian Laurie wrote:

> On 6/12/22 11:20, Ian Laurie wrote:

> > > I'm currently running this version, with the 5.18 fixes, but it's
> > > not
> > > working with kernels 5.17.12/13 or 14.  A person reporting
> > > success
> > > with 5.18.3 reported not having problems with the 5.17 kernels,
> > > so
> > > maybe there are multiple issues (has been suggested it may be
> > > CPU/chipset related).  I have not yet tried it on 5.18 but I
> > > certainly will today.
> > >
> > > Ian
> > >
> > If I understand Sérgio's comment #15 correctly, the 5.18 kernel
> > fixes
> > don't address the CPU issues possibly created by CVE-2022-1789
> > fixes,
> > so there is probably no point in me trying an early 5.18.  So the
> > CPU
> > issues are common to both later 5.17 and 5.18.  Sadly all my
> > hardware
> > here falls under the broken category:
> >
> > [1] ASUS G750JS 1 x Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700HQ CPU @ 2.40GHz
> > Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics
> > Controller (rev 06)
> > NVIDIA Corporation GK104M [GeForce GTX 870M] (rev a1)
> > Fedora 36
> >
> > [2] Intel NUC i7 NUC11PAH 1 x 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1165G7
> > @
> > 2.80GHz
> > Intel Corporation TigerLake-LP GT2 [Iris Xe Graphics] (rev 01)
> > Fedora 36
> >

> Since it was going to cost me nothing but time, I tested
> kernel-5.18.3-200.fc36.x86_64 with my existing
> VirtualBox-6.1.34-4.fc36.x86_64 (RPMFusion updates-testing) and to my
> astonishment it seems to be working.  On both platforms mentioned
> above.  So maybe my understanding about the CVE fixes was not
> correct.
> Or something got fixed between 5.18.2 and 5.18.3 ?  Anyway the 5.18.3
> Fedora kernel on Koji with the latest VirtualBox from RPMFusion still
> in
> testing seems to be working on 2 h/w platforms that were previously
> failing from 5.17.12.

thank you for the feedback , yes you understand me well, but I hadn't
made tests with kernel-5.18.x

After read this thread this afternoon , I realize that I also have one
Intel(R) Core(TM), I have the i5-9300H CPU and I noticed have network
issues with  kernel-5.17.12.  so I downgrade the kernel kernel-5.17.9-
200.fc35.x86_64 and I confirmed that I hadn't the issues with network.

So I was also affected by kernel-5.17.12, but just had weird network
issues ...

So now, I not sure anymore if we have 2 issues or if it all the same
i.e. kvm mitigations which was in first place on kernels 5.18, or even
if virtualbox kernel-5.18 patch is unrelated. The important for me is
kernel-5.18 patch for virtualbox don't have regressions .

--
Sérgio M. B.