On 2022-06-08 15:00, Alexander G. M. Smith wrote:
> Ian Laurie wrote on Friday, 3 June 2022 at 11:17 p.m.:
> > Is anyone else seeing crashes and other strange events in VirtualBox
> > 6.1.34 (from RPMFusion) with Linux guests when the Linux host is running
> > Fedora 36 with kernel-5.17.12?
> [...]
> The weird thing is that it works on other CPUs, an AMD Athlon X2 and an Intel 10th generation i5-10500H.  Just my Ivy Bridge Intel i7-4820K has the problem.  I did try the kernel boot parameter mitigations=off, in case the Spectre or other workarounds were wrong for Ivy Bridge, but it still didn't work.

One more data point.  It fails on an Intel i5-750 too.  Same broken data connections and failed checksums.

My go-to test is to use "dnf clean" followed by "dnf upgrade" running as root in a console (thus no networking is between keyboard and computer - pipes often fail).  My server snapshot fails to get through the complete dnf upgrade on kernel 5.17.13, works fine if booting the host with the earlier kernel 5.17.11 (using the GRUB boot menu to pick the older OS).

So, should we report this to VirtualBox?  They seem like the most appropriate people.  Kernel people would be a possibility?

Found a relevant bug report:
https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/20976

And a forum discussion:
https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=106071

Though they don't know that it only happens on certain CPUs (or motherboards or ?).  I'll add some notes about that there.

- Alex