On Mo, 04.07.22 19:24, Fedora Development ML (devel@lists.fedoraproject.org)
wrote:

> > My expectation would be that by default we'd just use the GPT auto
> discovery stuff
>
> Existing Fedora installations do not follow the GPT auto discovery
> spec.

If it is desirable to automatically switch existing installations from
"locally-genrated dracut mode" to "pre-build unified kernels mode",
then make sure to encode the root fs uuid in a credential and place it
next to the kernel.

> Also, I think the existing system for the root device can
> still work, it is passed in the command line, not the initrd.

Well, we'd have to authenticate that kernel cmdline somehow. Which
means doing TPM stuff before we switch to Linux kernel mode. i'd rather
avoid that, since afaics this would boil down to linking a static copy
of the TSS stack into an UEFI binary.

It's OK to modify your kernel cmdline if you really want, but if you
want that level of tweaking then it's probably totally OK to just turn
of Secureboot, at which point you can change it freely.

I am not convinced it must be a priority to allow arbitrary local
kernel cmdline options even in the most locked down mode.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin